Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Tips for Healthier Eating at BBQs

Tomorrow is one of my favorite holidays. Back home in Iowa we would always watch the big fireworks show from my parent's backyard and grill out. It's been a tradition since I was a little girl. Since I began dating Jeff over 4 years ago his family has also come out to join us. Tomorrow will be the first time I am not home for this, but that won't stop me from enjoying my favorite holiday! We will be grilling and going to the park to watch fireworks.

Barbeques are actually great places to eat healthy, but there are also some very unhealthy options. Here are some tips to get through them without spoiling your healthy lifestyle, but still enjoying the great food.

1. Skip the potato salad (or any of the creamy ones).
 These are often full of fat and loaded with calories.


2. Fill your plate with fruit.


I always go for my favorite-watermelon. If you eat some first before filling your plate with anything else you can feel fuller and not eat as much.

3. Go for lean grilled meats- chicken or steak instead of hamburgers and hotdogs.

4. If you eat a burger or hotdog scoop out some of the bread in the bun and watch your toppings. Ketchup is loaded with sugar so use it sparingly, but mustard is guilt free!

5. If there is something you're really wanting to try- go for it! Just do so in moderation.

6. Bring something healthy to share such as fruit salad, coleslaw made with greek yogurt instead or mayo, or even clean hotdogs (the applegate farm ones are beyond delicious!)

7. To go along with that don't be afraid to bring your own lean meat to grill if you know there isn't going to be something there for you.

8. Enjoy those grilled veggies- corn on the cob, zucchini, peppers...possibilities are endless!

Tomorrow we are having clean hotdogs, homemade chips, veggie kabobs, and lots of fruit. Oh and of course a bomb pop. It just isn't the 4th of July without a bomb pop :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julia! Those are such good tips! I'm losing 80 pounds too, and I have a blog http://leanchristine.blogspot.com/ would love for you to check it out! Maybe we can trade buttons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Chris! I really appreciate your comment. I would love to trade buttons and will definitely be checking out your blog :) I'm not sure how to trade, but if you could walk me through it I would appreciate it (I'm a cavewoman when it comes to all of the blog things) :)

      Delete