Saturday, August 10, 2013

New Foods I'm Trying

I get bored very easily. I'm not one of those people who can eat the same things over and over again and they never grow old. One of the things I've been trying to do on my journey is to eat new foods I normally wouldn't have. Here are some of my favorites:

Figs


I love figs now! I have been seriously craving something sweet for breakfast lately so I mix 1 cup of Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp raw organic honey, 4 large figs chopped, and 1 tbsp halved pecans.
Soooo yummy and healthy!
not the prettiest picture, but it's delicious!
Arugula






I love caprese salads, but I wanted to switch things up from my usual one. I heard about how healthy arugula is and switched my salad base from spinach to arugula since I eat so much spinach already. It's really good and gives the salad a great flavor.

To make the salad combine arugula, tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.


Collard Greens


For some reason they have always scared me, but then I had to try them once and fell in love. I make coconut collard greens all the time now and they are beyond delicious!
6 large collard leafs-chopped
1/4 yellow onion- chopped
1/2 cup organic coconut milk (from a can) (not the light one, don't be scared of the healthy fats!!)
1 tbsp olive oil

In a large skillet saute onion in olive oil until translucent (about 10 minutes)
Add in greens and coconut milk, stir and keep sauteing for another 10-15 minutes or until greens are tender

Enjoy!
I'm obsessed with these tomatoes as well! This was a savory snack yesterday. A ton of tomatoes and leftover coconut collard greens from dinner the night before. 

Beets

I forgot to take a picture, but all I did was chop them into big chunks, toss in olive oil, Himalayan salt, and pepper, and roasted them for 40 minutes at 425 degrees. 

I'm a HUGE fan of beets now. Jeff even likes them. 

La Croix Sparkling Water


I have seriously been craving soda again and this water hits the spot and is all natural. I like the coconut, orange, and lemon flavors so far! Oh and it's 25 cents a can! 

I'd love to hear what everyone else is trying! 



2 comments:

  1. Figs are my favorite! I think they are in season right now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sad when they aren't in season anymore. I'm becoming addicted to them! Thanks for commenting Angela :)

      Delete