Monday, June 10, 2013

Emergency Room Wake Up Call

I don't know what has come over me this weekend, but I feel like I ate worse than I had in a loooooong time. We didn't cook once. Not once. I ate candy bars, fried pickles, hotdogs, chinese food, cheese fries, broccoli cheddar soup (not the healthy homemade one, the panera one), and more unnameable disgusting food.

I gained .4 pounds. Not the end of the world.

I also landed myself in the ER last night.

After my fried food fest yesterday my stomach started to hurt. Like REALLY hurt, not just the minor uncomfortable pains that overeating sometimes cause.

The pain went on through out the evening and I tried to ignore it and then even just go to sleep to let it go away.

It wasn't going away though. It was getting worse.

Finally at about 1am I realized I need to go to the ER. I told Jeff I would be back (he mumbled something in his sleep) and I drove myself to the emergency room.

I was given an ultrasound and morphine (first time for that- it was weird, I don't even take Tylenol).

Turns out I have gall stones and my very unhealthy fried food binge caused my gall bladder to overexert itself and then that's when the pain began. The doctor suspected I've had them for quite a while, but since I don't eat a high fat diet my gall bladder has not had to work very hard. This weekend caused it to work and thus I found out about my gall stones. I told the doctor I shouldn't have eaten so badly, but he said it's good I found out about this.

If I continue to have awful pain I will need to get the stones removed. If not I can go on living normally without surgery.

I couldn't ask for better motivation to eat clean and NEVER do that to my body again. No food is worth that much pain.

Honestly one of the worst parts (besides the horrible pain) is that today was the last day of school (work). I missed it. That means I didn't get to say goodbye to my students and that breaks my heart. I'm supposed to work tomorrow and I'm hoping I can be there to at least say goodbye to the staff.

Jeff got a surprise call at 6am to come pick me up at the hospital. The poor guy hadn't even realize I left (I purposely didn't tell him, because I didn't want him to worry or to have to spend all night sitting with me). He got a cab, which he had to share with some random drunk lady, and waited the last hour at the hospital with me while they concluded the tests (and pumped me full of even more drugs).

He went out and bought a fridge full of fruit and even made kale chips for me to snack on (recipe tomorrow! they are amazing). We are going to relax the rest of the night and be thankful that nothing else is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment